The CTLT has three Makerbot Replicator 3D printers available for student use. Please note that CTLT staff will not print your object for you. While we will provide assistance and help troubleshoot, it is our goal to have future teachers be able to use this technology themselves so that they can then use it in their future classrooms.
If you would like to learn more about the Makerbot printers and getting files ready to print, please visit https://www.makerbot.com/learn/.
Sizing – Maximum build volume is 9.9 L x 7.8 W x 5.9 H in.
File Format – Most object files are stl files. The free Makerbot Print software can be used to export an .stl file to a .makerbot file (“example.stl” would become “example.makerbot”). The .makerbot file is the file needed to print.
Filament Type – The CTLT’s 3D printers use PLA filament only. Users are not allowed to bring in their own filament.
Access – First visit the Support Desk in 0640 Lagomarcino. The Student Assistants on duty will help get you started.
Cost – $0.06/gram of filament. The amount of filament your object uses will be determined before printing.
Methods of Payment – The CTLT only accepts cash, checks, or intramural forms. Objects cannot be charged to a UBill. If charging to an intramural account, please come with an ISU Intramural Purchase Order form. This form is available on the Controller’s Office website.
3D Printing Policies:
- The 3D printers may be used only for lawful purposes. Students are not permitted to use the printers to create objects that are:
- Prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous or pose an immediate threat to the well-being of others.
- Obscene or otherwise inappropriate for the CTLT, School of Education, and Iowa State University environments.
- In violation of another’s intellectual property rights.
- If an object prints incorrectly due to something other than printer malfunction, such as a design flaw or lack of support material, payment will still be required.
- The CTLT reserves the right to refuse any 3D print request.
- School of Education courses will be given priority if they need to use the 3D printers.
- Printing is done on a first come, first serve basis.
- Objects are not allowed to print overnight.
- Only designated CTLT staff will load and unload filament.
Please visit the Support Desk in 0640 Lagomarcino for instructions and more information.